Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Where is all the "time"
from those "time-saving" devices?

Where is the time that these time-saving devices are supposed to give you?

You know the idea… you get a machine to do the work or help to get it done faster.

That was the idea behind my husband getting a modified golf cart with a box on the back to hold dirt and mulch etc.

I was fussing that he wouldn't get enough exercise if he just drove it around the farm. After all, I was used to pulling a little wagon with buckets of water for more than an eighth of a mile to our gate to water flowers.
But after I started using the cart to drive the buckets of water and found out how easy it was - I was smiling! And thinking of all the time I was saving!

But while scooting up the road with the water the other day I got to wondering… although I'm enjoying these conveniences … I still don't seem to have any extra time!

When do I get to just lay around and sip lemonade?



Then I realized that maybe I have to plan to do that like any other activity.

The only problem is that some of us have been raised with the ever present feeling of GUILT when we do something "lazy".

You'd think by the time we're grown up we would be able to forget about guilt. I certainly didn't have such a problem when I was a little kid! I tried to get out of just about any job I could.
But I think guilt kicks in once you become a parent. By being busy you're setting a good example, I guess.

But now the kids are grown. And don't anyone tell me I need guilt because of the grandchildren. They probably don't have any problem trying to get out of their chores!

Maybe that's what they're here to teach me - to remind me about being a kid.


Maybe that's why grandparents and grandkids can get along so well!