Thursday, May 3, 2007

Snail mail – not e-mail
for internet promoter Bill Gates?

I simply wanted to send the author of the book a “heads-up” comment as to how much I liked it. I wasn’t looking for a response so much as I wanted to encourage him.

Years ago I was touched by the response from Charles Colson, after the Watergate episode. I recall having read only about 39 pages of one of his books when I kept getting the urge to write him a note of encouragement. In those days we used the U.S. Postal land mail. To my surprise he responded something to the effect that he needed to hear that at that time! When I finished reading the book I sent another letter saying that it was as good as I had thought. I never heard back from him. But I didn’t need to. I believe my message was meant to be received by him at the time he got it… he needed it then.

With the advent of e-mail, it has been easier to make contacts. So I decided to e-mail the author of The Road Ahead, Bill Gates. He's the chairman of Microsoft Corporation. Its website proclaims it’s “the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions… “
Even though Gates wrote the book back around 1996, I was fascinated by his ideas on the future of technology and the internet.



I searched his website to e-mail him. But I found that this man who is a symbol of internet technology and computers doesn’t have an e-mail address!

So I e-mailed them asking why? Someone named “Tony” responded that if I would like to write to Bill, (I hadn’t thought of calling him just “Bill”!), I could send a letter to Microsoft Corporation via the U.S. Postal Service! (Snail mail?)

I e-mailed back a thank-you but then thought how strange it was that Bill Gates – the Guru, so to speak, of the modern internet – wouldn’t have an e-mail address! (Of course I wouldn’t expect he would read them all.)
This time, someone named “Grace” responded. “At this time there is no public e-mail address for Bill Gates, but he is very interested in what customers have to say, and takes an active interest in reviewing customer feedback. Also, he is kept apprised of what the customers of Microsoft are thinking, and he or his staff do read all the e-mail messages he receives.” (How can he receive e-mails if they don't list an address?)

Well, what about other public figures? I checked out the White House. Vice President Cheney has e-mail. But not the president! The only address I could send my request to was addressed: "Comments...". And “Comments” responded: “On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence. We appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions...” etc.

So this is the e-mail address on the official site for the President? I e-mailed “Comments” back and asked: “How come the White House web site has a personalized e-mail address for the Vice President, but the impersonal e-mail address of “Comments, etc.” for the President? Is this an inadvertent psychological statement as to his position? What are you trying to tell the public?”
I haven’t heard back yet.

Next I checked out the Queen of England. She’s got an e-mail address!



God bless the Queen!


(Photos are from the websites)