Friday, February 2, 2007

“Techie” Overload!


A brand new watch in its original package had been sitting on my desk for months because I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I figured that its battery would wear out before I even got to wear the thing!

In fact, I bought a new battery for my old watch because although it doesn’t do all the things I originally bought it for, it still tells time. Duh! Could be that’s what a watch is supposed to do!



Three weight lifters at the work-out center have come up to me with advice on newer recorders that I could use instead of the old tape player I hooked onto my waist as I walked on the treadmill. Their concern was so sweet. And I am using their suggestions as to how to use the weights.

But as far as using our new MP3 player... I explained to one of these guys, “ I haven’t figured out how to download the music yet and I had to decide if I was going to try to do that or just put on my old tape player and get out an exercise. I decided to get out and exercise.” He looked at me and nodded, “Wise choice.” (White hair and tennis shoes get nice treatment! Or else they decide, don’t mess with Grandma!)

Last week my husband and I had to get new cell phones. I’m not sure on what planet they wrote the instruction books. For instance, when looking up information Paul suggested I look up “volume”. But it wasn’t listed. “That would have been too easy.” I said. Twice more he gave suggestions …. and I said, too easy… too easy. Of course they wouldn’t write it so I could find it! (Do I sound crabby?)

I’ve heard that some people in this techie society may become so disconnected from real living breathing things that their bodies are negatively affected by this loss. Maybe that’s why we should listen to that inner craving to touch and connect with something that is alive… be it a plant or a dog or even a human being!

Do you think that person could tell me what time it is?