Thursday, January 9, 2020

Memory from the past...



A picture from the past
   means something else today... 

 A man died… way too young.  At his funeral in a distant town, many pictures were displayed representing his life.
I didn’t know him.  
I wasn’t there.
So why do I care?
Pictures from the past...
A friend of mine was at the funeral and when he looked at the wall of photos displayed of the man’s life he noticed one that turned out to be important to me.
You see, I was in the background in the picture.
But it hadn’t been taken of me.
How did you know?
The scene was of my horse corral.
I had mowed the grass and shoveled the manure.
I had worked and trained the horses.
I had fed them every day and called the vet when needed.
Plus this…
In the picture's background I was walking with another horse and a small child was on it.
And the man - whose funeral was now being held - was standing smiling next to another child riding a horse.
It was several years ago.
And I said to my friend who had snapped a picture of the photo displayed… “I want a copy.”
Why?
I wanted a copy… not because I was in the picture.
But because it touched a part of my heart - just like in the movie, It’s a Wonderful Life.  This is a classic about a man who had given up his dreams but his guardian angel showed him all the people whose lives he had touched.
And although I’ve never sat and watched the whole film, I like the story.
And…
That day years ago, when parents and kids came to play at our farm, was a wonderful time for me too.
But now, so many years later, it means a lot to have that memory revived.
And I have the gift of knowing that it was good to have worked so hard to create the scene in the picture for others to enjoy. 
His smiling face…
I wish I could tell him “Thank You” for coming that day… and smiling.