Friday, November 15, 2019


Ripples column by Rosie

Most quit… but not him!

 He started running as a kid in school but 43 year old Ryan Cooper of Cannon Falls didn’t take it up again until 2012 when he tried a half mile and found it rough! 
But he kept on… and his first “Ultra Marathon” was in 2015 at a race called Goosebumps in La Crosse, WI.  He completed 50k in just under six hours. 
An example of his total running miles ranged from 313 miles in 2012 to 2,327 miles in 2017 and 1,969 miles so far this year.



Most never finish…
Ryan’s first attempt at running a 100 mile race was last June at the Kettle Moraine 100 in Whitewater, WI.  He explained that most people attempting such a long race never finish.  And neither did he.  He dropped out after 16 hours at about 62 miles. 
After “licking his wounds”, Ryan decided to make another try and found the Savage 100, in Savage, MN.  It’s only offered every five years.  Ryan finished in 14th place in 29 hours 33 seconds.
Why run?
    Ryan explained that some run because “they are recovering addicts or have depression/anxiety etc.  A number of them will point specifically to running as the thing that saved them or keeps them healthy.
“My personal struggles with depression help drive me at times to keep up my running routine.” Ryan explained.  “The natural endorphins that are produced while running help the brain to function better and allow me to think clearer.  I have asthma, a bad back, heel spurs and countless other ailments, but yet I power through my miles knowing that the overall feelings inside me outweigh the physical pain I endure.“
Ryan continued,  “Spending countless hours running I have come up with many personal questions about myself. Running a 100-mile race answered one of my personal questions, but also brought up more new questions.  I now need to run some more to figure out even more answers.”
Ryan encouraged those who want to know why people “run” to “head out to the trail and find out yourself. Overcome some fears and see what questions you come up with. 
“I can’t guarantee that it will be easy and you won’t have pain, but I do know that you will be in nature and find overwhelming joy to be in the outdoors.”
It’s not just about him!
Ryan wanted to thank some special people who made his 100 mile race achievable.
Henry Ward provided expert level advice to Ryan and his crew and pacers.
Zack Delong, had the courage to help out a complete stranger. He paced me during my 4th loop (which was probably my hardest loop)… he was able to keep me moving and not quit.  
Andy Hurd pulled a long shift of slow going with me through the night for my 5th loop.  
Matt Kelly crewed the entire event, took care of the kids, took pictures, drove around to meet me at almost every aid station and encouraged me with his words. 
Erin Kelly paced me for most of my 6th loop and helped crew by updating my progress and keeping me moving at the aid stations.  
My wife Carlyn Cooper... on little sleep because she ran her own Marathon Saturday morning and then paced me into the finish line Sunday Morning… the two of us slept a total of six hours in 60 hours!  
Elmer Pagel... Ryan had paced Elmer on his own 100 mile race through a blizzard in April 2018.  This gave Ryan the inspiration he needed to pursue this race. 
Leah Addingtonn, for prayers and strength to finish. “God's timing was seen through out my journey to complete the 100 mile status… even though I had so many setbacks, I now see that this was all in God's plan.”
Ryan concluded:  “Without this support I would not have been able to stay as positive as I did and would have given up on myself. Finishing any length of a race is 70% mind and 30% physical.”

(And we say: “Thank you Ryan for sharing!)"