Thursday, September 13, 2018

Along the way... with Rosie

Hideout needed!

A place to hide.  It’s not just for law breakers or bandits you know.  
Good ordinary folks may need a place to get away.  Maybe their family asks them to solve every little problem.  Or they just need a change of scenery for a break.
But I have decided it could help me too.
You see, I’ve been hearing snatches of conversations that my family would like to celebrate my coming birthday.  It’s kind of a landmark occasion…at my age of 80… at least to them! 
Kind of a surprise to me too.  (And it’s the “new 60” now, you know!)
It’s kind of cool actually because many years ago I had health issues that made me dread the thought of living on.  
But back to the present time… now I’m concerned that since I said I didn’t have any plans to celebrate, and didn’t want to… these folks might decide to have a surprise party for me.
Been there… done that.
My husband tried that once.
It was my fortieth birthday.
Somehow I caught on to the plans and wouldn’t leave the farm when everyone was trying to get it decorated.
Finally, one friend took me aside and explained the situation and got me out of there.
But I was steaming mad!
The roles are reversed.
Keep in mind that I love planning surprise parties for others!  But I don’t know why I thought they would like it any better than I did!
I had better remember that.
But being sneaky and doing something nice is really so much fun!
History shows…
Oh well.
I remember how much fun it was to celebrate birthdays when I was a youngster.
As a child you had occasions to look forward to - like the first day of school - because your friends were there and you were a big kid now.  Then you looked forward to graduating.  Then you looked forward to a new job.  Then maybe a family.  And then you retired and could have time for yourself.
But…
What is there to look forward to after that?
Seems like we should have something else to think about besides your funeral!
Well… right now I’ve got work to do, problems to solve and roses to smell.
Like this one…
OK - back to my first dilemma… my birthday.
What can I say to folks who ask me how I’m celebrating my birthday?
That I’m taking a trip?
But one where I can get home in time to feed horses?
So - I’m back to my first question: 

Do you know a good place for a “hideout”?