Thursday, March 1, 2018

Ripples of Kindness... busy check-out lanes!

When buying only one thing
 and the checkout lanes are long...
(Sent in by a local resident.)

Carol wrote:
On a recent Saturday I needed a gallon of distilled water, so I made a quick stop at the Family Fare grocery store.  I went in, got my jug of water, and went to the service counter, where there were seven or eight people lined up waiting. 
So what to do?
  I checked the other lanes and saw one where there was one customer finishing her order, and one woman waiting with a small order.  So I put my water on the conveyor belt, and the woman waiting said, "Why don't you go ahead of me?" 
I told her I'd be glad to wait, but she insisted that I go ahead of her.  So, I moved my water to right in front of her groceries, and while the customer ahead finished up, we started chatting.  
Then, when the cashier was finished, she turned to me, and I said, "This nice woman said I could go ahead of her, and this water is the only thing I am buying," and handed her my money.  
Stop!  Who’s paying?
THEN--my new friend said,  "No, put it on my  order!"  So we had this back and forth: “No”... “Yes”... “No”... “Yes”... and all the while the cashier is waiting to see who is going to end up paying for the water! 
I finally gave in, and thanked her, and as she gave me a big hug I told her I would definitely pay this forward and look for an opportunity to do the same for someone else!
It made my day!
***
(And now it’s “made” our day too!)

***
Another “Ripple” from the day of the snowfall…
(Just got this email and the writer 
wants to remain anonymous.)

The day of the big snowstorm, I was in town parked on the main street while getting a perm which took a couple of hours.  
When I came out, my SUV was covered with tons of snow and looked like a giant snow cone. I started cleaning it off. 
Jim Pagel from Chicago Ed's was outside shoveling snow and told me to get in my vehicle; that he would clean it off for me which he did.  
I think this was really super nice of him to do this.  
(We do too!)