Friday, December 18, 2015

Rudolph, Rosie and another "Foggy Christmas Eve!"

Rudolph, Rosie
and another 
"Foggy Christmas Eve!"


It was a dreary foggy Christmas Eve.
We were flying from Minnesota to the west coast to have Christmas with our grandchildren... all small youngsters.
But while changing planes after landing on the first stop, we were told we might not make it that night because of bad weather. Our destination was fogged in.
Now waiting in any airport isn’t particularly appealing, but on Christmas Eve it seemed a little more gloomy.

What happened? 

To our surprise it was suddenly announced that the flight was going to take off and see if we could finish our trip. But we might have to turn around and come back.
We were kind of a quiet bunch of folks in the plane. I remember some big guys in the seats behind us, with the word “Raiders” emblazoned on their jackets. But I didn’t know if they were professional football players heading home for the holidays.

When we flew over our planned landing, it had fogged over again. We were in a circling pattern for quite a while. I kept telling my head that it didn’t want to throw up. Concentrate on something else I told myself!

Here’s an idea! 

Well, the airline attendants had an idea. 
The gals had put on little red and white furry Santa caps for the occasion. And while we kept circling, they suggested we all sing some Christmas songs!
Nobody complained that this was offensive to them.
Actually, I just wanted to think of something happy besides my brain repeating its dislike of circling so much!

And what did we choose? 

And… appropriately enough... the song chosen was "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"! 
You know... the “foggy Christmas Eve” song.
Well, after a few choruses, we had all gotten warmed up and were smiling. We may not have been the best singers, but we were enthusiastic! 
And I was kept busy videoing the passengers as we were singing and laughing with each other.
Then the clouds opened up and we could land!

Another surprise… 

As I was leaving the plane to head over to the glassed in concourse where three little grandchildren were jumping up and down and waving... one of the big Raiders guys came over and said, you’ve got a reception waiting for you! 
I smiled.
Then he added, “I’ve just got to hug you!”

You see, even though I have never thrown a touchdown pass in the National Football League... I still had a cheering section!
And I’ll never forget the sweet hug the “Raiders” guy gave me too!

Merry Christmas!
and may the tradition of Christmas 
and its meaning bless us all.


.