Thursday, December 10, 2015

Commercializing Christmas could be good?



Could commercializing Christmas 
be a good thing?

Does the commercialization of Christmas degrade it?  Should it be more wholesome and spiritual?
Actually, the person honored at Christmas most likely wasn’t born on December 25.   And back in the 1800’s I’m told folks just had a church service and maybe a  special dinner.

My research also says Christmas just became a popular holiday after Clement Clarke Moore wrote his famous story, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas".  The actual title was “A Visit from St. Nicholas”.   Note that it was not a “Visit from Jesus."

 So, is it the fault of businesses that they promote sales? Though as a kid I wished we would celebrate the holiday a day later so I could take part in the “After Christmas Sales!”  I didn’t get much allowance.

But here’s another thought  

There’s another way to think of the holidays.  Commercialization of Christmas might actually make its message more visible to more people!

What other religion is so popularized?

On what other occasions are you able to promote Jesus to this extent?     
Yes, there are the crass sales pitches encouraging folks to focus on the presents they will get.  But the reverse of this is seeing the touching commercials and fund raising campaigns motivating people to buy gifts for others... to make them feel loved and cared about.

“Do you hear what I hear...” (again and again!)

 And, if you, along with me, find you're getting tired of hearing the songs of Christmas repeated and repeated, (and keep in mind that I’ve heard some of them for a zillion or more years)...  and although I love them, I sometimes want a break too!

But Christmas music is being played over and over on the airwaves... and broadcast in the malls... and while you’re on “hold” on the phone.  

Even at my dentist’s office.  He was so happy to tell me they had just started playing Christmas music in the background. But since he was about to put the drill in my mouth I thought it was wiser to be quiet about my opinions on hearing this music too much!

On the other hand, I am playing my drums to accompany some of the holiday songs for gatherings.  That’s fun!

So here's the plan

Keep in mind the true meaning of the occasion.  Remember that the words of the songs spread hope and good tidings and cheer.  And words themselves have the power to change and enlighten and create.  

(I'm having fun checking out Quantum Physics studies on the effect of the observer... but also the book of Genesis: “And God said... and it was so.”)

I believe it's good to hear songs with wishes of happiness and love and joy. 
I wish that for you too.

  Merry Christmas… 
Happy Holidays… 
Peace on earth!




.