Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Where's the party?

An acrobatic flying mouse defying gravity?

He was the cutest little critter. But in the wrong place... meaning he was in my house.

He had left messages, or droppings, for me.


When living in the country you get used to the Fall exodus of mice from the fields into the house. They weren’t invited and usually the mice get the hint to leave after a few traps are set. ( I used to use the ones that don’t kill, but after emptying one trap about the tenth time I figured it might have been the same mouse!)


And I really didn’t mind them in the basement so much. Everything there was either canned or safe from their chewing.

But when this mouse decided to party in my kitchen, it was too much.


One morning I opened the lower cabinet to get a pan for the eggs. I noticed a shadow move. Or did I?

I opened the cabinet again and there was this cute little critter looking up at me. I shut the door fast.

Then I noticed sawdust on the floor and figured that the mouse had gotten shut up inside there all night. Perhaps he had gone inside when the cabinet door was slightly ajar. But when someone walked by and closed it... he was caught!


I opened the door again and sure enough, he was scurrying around to hide.

I kept on with this routine of opening and shutting the door as I quickly removed bowls and pans to give me some room to catch him. I got a clear plastic container and waited to plop it over him. I almost got him - but I missed.

And then he escaped into the room.

I heard a trap go off next to the fireplace but he escaped that too.


The rest of the day I spent pulling open drawers and cabinets and washing everything in a soapy bleach combination.

But this isn’t how I want to spend the winter.


The next morning I got up and checked out the kitchen. The drawers were still clean. I could put the utensils back in them.

I cooked up an egg and as I paused by the sink I saw the high stemmed wine glass I had used the night before. It’s a delicate one, so I wash it by hand rather than putting it in the dishwasher.


To my dismay, I saw some little black seeds in the glass! Obviously not seeds but mouse droppings.

So now this little critter is not only stealing snacks but having a party with my wine!



And then as I stared at the tall goblet I wondered how the mouse ever climbed up the tall stem and over the wide bowl to get into the glass without tipping it over? Or was it a team of mice... maybe even taking turns holding up the stem of the goblet while one of them climbed up into the bowl for a party? Or could it be a very big mouse?


Another thought - it’s pretty crummy to think that there was a party going on in my house... but I wasn’t invited!

.