Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What did it say in the newspaper?

The sound of fire engines came roaring past our bedroom window that warm sunny morning on the suburban street we lived. They were heading toward our neighbor’s house which had been set on fire by someone lighting the Sunday morning newspapers which had been tucked inside their front door. This apparently was part of a series of fires purposely set.

The sirens woke me up. I had just fallen asleep after taking our son on his morning paper route around 2 a.m.
I groggily got up and looking out the window I saw smoke and ran down to the front door. I pulled it open and that gave enough oxygen to these smoking papers to cause them to burst into flames.
But I saw where I could grab them and hauled them out onto the front lawn and got the fire out.
Only then did I realize that I was standing outside in my "shorty" pajamas! This was over 30 years ago and not part of the Desperate Housewives TV show.
So as I was getting the fire out, I kept yelling at my husband in the house to get me my robe – also short but it would add another layer anyway.
All of a sudden, my robe came flying and hit me and I put it on.

Then I walked across the yards to where the firemen and neighbors were standing after putting out that fire. I thanked them for waking me up because our house had also been set on fire.
The firemen dashed over to ours and set up fans to get any remaining smoke out.
Everything finally calmed down and the neighborhood went back to normal.

Until the newspaper came out a couple days later. I read about the fires and then went ballistic when the story explained something like, “Schluter himself smelled smoke and put out the fire.”
I gasped…"Schluter himself”?

I grabbed the paper to show “Schluter himself” and I eyeballed him and asked, “After you threw my robe out to me on the front lawn, where were you?”

Paul grinned, “I just went back to bed!”

My hero!
(At least in the newspaper!)