Saturday, July 7, 2007

Mystery in the valley


There was nothing sinister about the beautiful valley that morning, basking in lovely warm sunshine… but the open door was suspicious.

I was alone as I picked up trash along the county road near our farm. The birds had been singing and only a few cars and trucks drove by.

As I walked past a little creek I heard a banging sound. Several times. I kept walking and listening… but then it stopped.
That was curious. There was a farm house near the road. It was for sale. And empty. The owners had already moved out.

I walked onto the property and followed the driveway to the house. No vehicles there. I checked both front and back doors which had those large locks hanging on them that realtors use.
Since everything looked OK, I went back to finish cleaning the roadside. I headed down another half mile and then back on the other side of the road. Finally I was finished.

Earlier I had parked my pickup truck near the barn of the empty farmhouse because the owners had said I could when I cleaned the road other times. As I looked past my truck I noticed that the door to their stable/riding arena was open. I thought for sure it had been closed when I had parked there.
This was suspicious because I had given the house the once over and decided no one was home.
Well, I had better check this out.

Now back up in time a bit.
I was wrong about there not being anyone at home. The owner had flown back from out of state on business. And although he was in the house, he hadn’t seen me walking about earlier.
But later he looked out the window and didn't recognize the pickup parked near his stable. He decided he had better check it out.

Keep in mind that he is also licensed to carry a gun.

So he is in the barn, checking it out when I come back from cleaning the roadsides.

I kept arguing in my head – was the door open before or closed ? Open or closed?

Just as I head for the door a man comes out!
You can imagine our surprise and relief as we recognized each other. Well, the guy was surprised but I was relieved!

I grinned… “You look first before you shoot, don’t you?”
He gave me a hug instead.