Sunday, August 18, 2019

Could "Down" be better than "Up"?



What happened to 
           the “ladder to success”?

Do we have it all wrong?
On a ladder the steps go “up” and “down”. 
But is the “ladder to success” really one where the best steps might go down instead of up?
                           Thoughts for discussion… 
This was the discussion of some folks considering the effect of thoughts on the human body. They meet every week at the Cannon Falls library.  Anyone is invited.
And a couple of them had shared their conclusions about when they had been searching for a job.  
Judy Schlekewy thoughtfully commented, "Sometimes it's not so important to climb the ladder."
And Kari Moline eloquently stated:  “I successfully worked my way down the ladder!”
You see, the important aspect was the effect on their lives.
                     What do you really want?    
Over the years their priorities had changed.
They were looking into what really fit into the lifestyle they wanted at that point in time.
They had to decide what was “success” for them?  The hours they worked… their co-workers and employers… interest in the job… the pay they received… etc. 
I noticed that the pay and position was not insignificant but was not the deciding factor.
                      Checking with my “Mentor”…
With this concept in mind I went to my “online mentor” - “Google” - for information on “What is success”?
The first thing that popped up was a reference to the classic story of Alice in Wonderland… where she goes down the rabbit hole and finds everything in life is now backwards.  
(Keep in mind that I have never been comfortable with this story, but it’s a good analogy.)
The point being that in this blog’s point of view, everything in the world suggests you do the opposite of what their religious principles say to do.
For example: if you want to be blessed, be a blessing to others.  To be honored, first be humble.  To receive, first give.  To be a leader, first be a servant… etc.  
And their leader exemplified this… even to the point of dying for others.
I googled other religious views and found some similar principles.

                      What is the job description?
How could you describe your job?  What is its purpose?  Why is it right for you at this point in time?  
I have heard how public officials are supposed to be public servants.  By contacts with many of them over the years I have seen their concern.  But also I keep in mind the ones that make the headlines who seem to express a more negative side to the equation.
It’s taken me over 50 years to realize that the people I have written about may not be the “rock stars” that get all the attention…. but they are honorable and talented heart-warming folks.  Their stories still touch my heart.
                                      So now......
I’m interested in how you have found this to work in your life.  
Pease contact me at the Beacon or my email: mailrosie@me.com.