Tuesday, December 18, 2018

 Whats up with the 
"New Sheriff In Town"!

 Looked like the new sheriff in Goodhue county got in a fight… but it was with a large tree… and his weapon was a chain saw… and although the sheriff won… he’s got some “warrior wounds”.  
(I interviewed Marty Kelly and 
his wife Mary via email.)

                                              Photo by Jack Kelly

This is his story… and he’s sticking to it!
Our new sheriff, Marty Kelly’s version: “I was cleaning up the old Belvidere Trail on our property to open up trails for walking or snowmobiling this winter. I had a fire going and was enjoying the day off. 
“There was a dead tree leaning over the trail. The branches had blown off in a prior storm so I thought it was an easy cut. 
“Having cut thousands of trees in my life I notched it where I thought it would fall. When I got through the back side the tree spun around. I didn't know where it was going to fall. 
“I was on a bit of a hill so I jumped down and attempted to run out of its way. I ended up tripping on some branches and the tree landed on my back and left side. 
“I believe adrenaline and several guardian angels got me out from under the tree and to my ATV. I did not have cell reception where I was at so I knew I had to get myself out of the woods. 
“I drove myself back to my house which was about two miles. When I got home I called my Dad, who lives close by, and asked him to come and drive me to the hospital. 
“I then called my wife and informed her I was headed to the hospital and asked her to meet me there. I walked myself to my van and waited for my Dad to take me to the hospital. 
He feels the pain…
“As we drove to the hospital the adrenaline and shock must have wore off. When I arrived at the ER, Dr. Kays and his trauma team did a wonderful job getting me out of the van and assessing my injuries. 
“My injuries included; 5 fractured ribs, 4 fractured vertebrae, punctured lung, fractured right hand and damage to my left wrist. This injury required surgery to repair the damaged tendons, ligaments and cartilage. 
“I have five pins holding it all together.  Soft tissue damage to my right knee and left shoulder. 
“The doctors say my wrist will be the most difficult recovery but as of right now my ribs and back seem to hurt the most. 
Change in plans…
“Prior to this accident I was putting in about 20-25 hours a week preparing for my duties as Sheriff. This has been on hold but Jeremy Lerfald, Chief Deputy, has done a nice job stepping in with some interviews that have taken place for positions that will open up in January. 
“Current Sheriff, Kris Johnson, has also been incredibly helpful during this time as well. 
Cop jokes?
“I have not yet heard any jokes about the incident but I am sure they are coming. At this point it still hurts to laugh, so hopefully we hold off for a little while. 
Taking office…
“I will be sworn in December 28th and will start my position as Sheriff on January 9th. I will have some doctor appointments but should be ready to begin work on the 9th. I am excited to get started.” 

(My personal thought: I’m waiting for the “cop jokes” to start! 
Then you'll know youre getting better!  
Uff-dah!)