Thursday, November 9, 2017

"Scooping" the "big guys"!

The stories we can tell...  
You’ve probably heard lots of stories about one of the most powerful legislators in the Minnesota Senate during the 1970s, George Conzemius of Cannon Falls, who died recently.  But here is one you may not have heard before.
Because I haven’t talked about it.
But it’s the way I learned about him.
Back in those days...
I had moved to this community many years ago when the story hit.  You realize that while I lived up in the “Cities” I had been asked how I could survive as a journalist out in the boondocks where nothing ever happened?  
But after I got here I had found my way onto the local newspaper staff and was learning how things were done.
Since I was a newcomer and didn’t have any ties to anyone... like childhood friendships...  I was covering the story the “big city” news reporters were scrambling for.  This was news about the man who could possibly have been governor - but who was now being indicted for mail fraud.
And what a story it was.
Not just the trial.
But getting insight into the man - who presented an intimidating image to me.
As far as getting the story… 
I had to wonder why anyone would bother giving a “nobody” reporter information?
I contacted the defense team and explained that I was a reporter for the newspaper in Conzemius’ small home town.  Would they give me updates to tell folks back here?  They would.
I talked to the prosecutor - who also made himself accessible.   
I was taught about “mail fraud” being awfully close to “shrewd business practices”.  
But it wasn’t up to me to influence the jury. I was there to provide  information to the newspaper’s readers.
The key to “scoops”!
The key to my getting the story ahead of the big city TV stations was that the legal filings were done in a nearby county courthouse on the same day the Beacon went to press.  So I could “scoop” them all while working on a weekly newspaper!  
How cool is that?
I built up a relationship at the courthouse so even though I couldn’t get there before closing, an employee made copies of a set of documents and was waiting on the courthouse steps!  
How cool is that?
And Conzemius himself gave me suggestions and files of information about people he felt were out to destroy him.  
One day of the trial...
  Many witnesses testified to the good character of Conzemius.  While standing outside the courtroom with lots of other big city reporters I heard them talking about these witnesses.  
One exclaimed: even the governor was coming!  And another bleeped out: “Jesus Christ!”  
I smiled and said: “No, he’s coming later!”
Although there were chuckles... that was about the only bit of humor that day.
Insight into character...
After he was convicted, I interviewed Conzemius.  Then following his sentencing his lawyer called me and said Conzemius had been put in jail earlier than expected because a recent article of mine influenced the court.
But, important to me... the lawyer said Conzemius admitted he had said these statements... but it wasn’t what he meant.  
Now a politician could easily complain that the journalist was wrong.  But Conzemius hadn’t. 
And after the verdict came in Conzemius told me... the U.S. justice system was the best in the world... but it wasn’t always right.   
After coming back home...
Some time after Conzemius was released from prison I recall seeing him at a Fourth of July parade in town.  He was standing across the street from me.
It was with discomfort, on my part at least, that we acknowledged each other. But somehow I got invited to his house nearby for refreshments.
And that led to our getting together with other friends for a weekly Bible study.
And yes... it sure was fun arguing with George!  
Since then...
We had lost touch since then. I’d only seen him a couple of times in the following years.
Just reminiscing for a while...
I’m sure you’ve all got your own stories to tell.



.