Saturday, October 8, 2016

Can religious folk have a sense of humor?


Offensive or not... it's just me!

I figured I wasn’t dressed correctly.  I just hoped nobody would mind.  Or be offended.
The public presentation of Muslim beliefs at the Cannon Falls Library recently had not been publicized much.   
And it was at the same time that I had volunteered to help some folks do some fall clean up at a church.  I’d try to do both.
It so happened that I was one of only a couple people who were there at that time and I got to ask lots of questions.  I love asking questions.   
They were representing a segment of the Muslim community from a northern Minneapolis suburb that was reaching out to share their belief system.   
Apparently they were part of a moderate group and they showed respect for Christian and Jewish religious prophets.  
My apology for my clothing...
The first thing I did in this informal setting was apologize for the clothes I was wearing as I hadn’t wanted to offend them. 
My old jeans and shirt had seemed appropriate for the cleaning project but not for meeting them.
The speaker said they understood and explained that as a woman I had the right to choose what I was going to wear.
That surprised me a little.  I was used to seeing their women wearing full garb covering most of their body.  Now I was also covered but it wasn’t the same!
Asking to shake hands...
A while later as I was getting ready to leave, I went to each of the men and held out my hand and asked if I could shake their hand.  I meant it as a demonstration of respect and as a good-by.
They did shake my hand but one explained that a Muslim man usually would not shake a woman’s hand out of respect for her.
Be careful in Cannon Falls...
That seems to be a nice idea... but if they are that cautious I thought I should really warn them about folks in Cannon Falls.  Here they do more than just shake your hand.  They like to hug you!
I’ve been here for many years and they’re still trying to get me used to that!  :)
Another question...
Also - here’s a question I didn’t ask them.  I wonder if Muslims can laugh at each other like Christians do?  At least the Christians I know!  
You see, someone sent in some more “light bulb” jokes in response to my column last week.
These came from a person named Johnson....  or at least someone using a Johnson email address!  
So don’t be offended.  Just enjoy!  

***
How many  Christians does it take to change a light  bulb?

Charismatic : Only  1.
Hands are already in the  air.

Presbyterians :  None.
Lights will go on and off at predestined times.

Roman  Catholic: None -  Candles only.

Baptists : At  least 15.  
One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.

Episcopalians: 3.  
One to call the  electrician, one to mix the drinks and one to  talk about how much better the old one  was. 

Pentecostal :  10.
One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.

Unitarians :
We  choose not to make a statement either in favor  of or against the need for a light bulb.  However, if in your own journey you have found  that light bulbs work for you, you are invited  to write a poem or compose a modern dance about  your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in  which we will explore a number of light bulb  traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent,  3-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are  equally valid paths to luminescence.

Methodists :  Undetermined.
Whether your light is bright,  dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can  be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb.  Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to  pass.

Nazarene :  6.
One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.

Lutherans :  None.
Lutherans don't believe in change.

Amish :
What's a light  bulb? 

:)