Wednesday, April 20, 2016

"Make my day!" Really?


 “Make my day!”  (Really?)

I love the “coffee scene” from one of Clint Eastwood’s movies that a friend posted on Facebook.
But I have some questions about it!

The scene is where Eastwood has figured out that something is wrong in the diner where he has just gotten his regular cup of “coffee-to-go”. This is after he has left the diner and is tasting his “black only” coffee only to realize it is saturated with sugar... and he spit it out... and he figures out that this was a clue from the waitress that something is wrong.   It was really a signal for “help”! 

Life lesson...
Maybe this could be a point to consider as a “life lesson”:  when nice people - like the waitress - do strange things or just not what we want them to do... is this the moment to look around and see what is really going on?  And adjust our attitude?
Anyway... Eastwood goes to another entrance of the diner and quietly enters and sees several “bad guys” with their guns out trying to rob the patrons.

My questions come here.
When the ‘bad guys” see Eastwood they decide to have a conversation with him.
Really?  At that time? 
Then, when Eastwood reaches inside his suit jacket for what looks like a gun... almost in slow motion... they just stand there!  They don’t shoot.
Really?  (I thought it was only cops that weren’t supposed to shoot.)


Taking turns?
And then - how come each one of the “bad guys” seems to take his turn shooting at Eastwood?  So Eastwood has time to aim and shoot at each one of them in succession!
Oh yes... and then say his famous line...  “Make my day!”
I still love this scene.  
But it’s a “movie”.

Real-life...
On the other hand I like what one of my favorite real-life deputies taught me:  “It’s only about three percent of the people who are bad guys... the others have just made poor choices.  And you deal with them with those options in mind.”

Maybe someday they’ll make a movie of that too.


.