Friday, July 3, 2015

Rescued: Old VHS tape with memories!


Rescued! 
Old VHS tape 
with memories of 1992 CV Fair  

The grinding - crashing sounds of the demolition derby... the steady breathing and hoofbeats of the horses lining up on the race track behind the pace car... the excitement of the youth horse shows and animal displays... the race for candy thrown at the parade.



All these memories and more came back when I found an old VHS tape of the Cannon Valley Fair I had edited back in 1992.  It had been laying in a drawer for 20 years or more.  
What better time to look at it than this 100th anniversary of the fair?

I had spent about three days at the fair that year.  I got video from the top of the ferris wheel... you can hear me grimmacing:  “I want to get off!”  (I’m not good at heights!)


More exciting to me was being on top of the announcers stand in the Demolition Derby.  Got great shots zooming in on the grinding cars in the mud and crashing into each other below me...  the emergency welding on the sidelines shooting sparks... etc.



And then came the horse shows, the kids showing their prize animals, food, and the flashing lights and rides of the Midway.








Only one problem occured in this trip down memory lane.
My VHS tape would not work in my VCR.   It showed two others films on the same tape... but not this one.

So I called the magician who has helped me before... Mark Mason of Cannon Falls.  He professionally transfers tapes, etc. to DVD’s. 
Mark explains: “My business is to save family memories for the next generation by taking old film, slides and video tape and moving them to current technology i.e. DVDs and CDs.”

Could he do it with mine?
And, embarrassingly, I really didn’t know if the video was as good as I remembered!  
And if Mark could salvage it, then someone else would know if it was any good!

                                 My hero!
 Well, my hero came through for me again.
The video is now on DVD and is on Cannon Falls cable channel 12 and on the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W23D7c16gxc

Here are some of the memories of folks I caught in 1992... at a small town fair... in rural America.

May the world enjoy a little moment of sweetness.

(If you recognize any of the folks pictured let them and us know!)










,