Sunday, October 5, 2014

"To the good times…"


Ricky Nelson Remembered

Here’s to the good times!

It was with nervousness that I awaited the call from singer/composer Matthew Nelson... one of the twin sons of “Teen Idol” Ricky Nelson, a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer whose music has touched millions.
I had contacted his publicity agent and asked if I could take some pictures at their concert on October 18 in Cannon Falls - “Ricky Nelson Remembered” - a fundraiser for the Shepherd’s Center.

But first they wanted to interview me.
I guess that went OK because I was told I had three choices of times that I could interview one of the Nelson twins, stars of the show.  
I hadn’t expected to talk to anyone!
And I don’t know why I began to panic.  I’ve done interviews for years.  

I’ve always been hyped up for them.  And I still struggle to get over the advice from my junior high school adviser who warned me that I was too shy to be a journalist.
And lately I prefer to just hang around and pick up the story as it unfolds.  Like taking pictures behind the scenes.
No pressure if I think it’s not going to turn out all right.
Except for the pressure I put on myself.
That can be brutal.


Any stupid questions?

What if I asked some really stupid questions?
Well, to solve that I got on my Facebook page and asked friends what they would like to know about the musicians.
Got some great questions, like one from former “Cannonnite” Kari Pohl LeVan.  She suggested:  How did your dad influence/inspire your path from glam rock and beyond?  
Keep in mind that I don’t even know what “glam rock” is!    But when I asked Matthew the question, he answered as if I would know just what he was talking about!
I had to admit to him that I didn’t have a clue. I’m more of a country melody person.

A “Minnesota Nice” question!

Then I explained that I was from Minnesota and so I had to ask: “How’s the family and how’s the weather?”  I also suggested that he could say: “Fine” because being “Minnesota Nice” I didn’t want to pry!  (Not a very good interviewer I guess!)  
Also keep in mind that in my research I had “googled” the name... Ricky Nelson.  I later decided that wasn’t such a good idea.  
I’ve done it before - to find out about some favorite singers of mine.  But I usually found out too much.  Most of it was bad. Didn’t even want to listen to their music again.
Same thing happened when I looked up Ricky.
So how was I going to interview one of his sons?  How did they survive in a situation that appeared chaotic and painful?

“More blessings than curses.”

But talking to Matthew Nelson changed my mind.  He explained: “There were far more blessings than curses.”
He told me about the fantastic surprise their dad planned for the boys’ 12th birthday.  He told me about the integrity that his dad and grandparents, Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, had taught them.  And their humbleness and concern for people.  
Matthew’s love and compassion for his father came through.
That interview is coming next week.
And I’m looking forward to the Nelson twins’ concert of memories.

And so now I will toast:  “To the Good Times!"


.