Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The “Church Basement Ladies"... They’re NOT!

The “Church Basement Ladies”... 
they’re NOT!

Ever see a painting that makes you think you could almost walk into it and feel what it’s like?
  Such is the 7th annual re-enactment of the Leonardo da Vinci painting of The Last Supper at Urland Lutheran Church during their Lenten season.  Local men were “morphing” into the twelve disciples from 2000 years ago.  

Behind the scenes...

The idea of being among those “disciples” brought me to the church early that night.
I explained to the men that I was videoing them to show the changes they’d make in their transition to the Biblical characters.  

    James Zebedee - Marc Hernke
    
But since they didn’t know I was coming, I added that I was willing to step out of the room quickly if they needed privacy.  (Keep in mind that I am from a generation that was raised on the virtue of modesty - to some extent anyway - and I probably wouldn’t be comfortable in the Minnesota Vikings locker room!)

Thomas - Curt Beissel

No panic

But the guys didn’t seem to mind me being there.  Although I began to panic when they loosed their belts... but they were all wearing burmuda shorts under their jeans!  It was still cold here in Minnesota.


And they were kidding around... although they weren’t the Church Basement Ladies!  But laughing like guys do... probably like they did with Jesus.

                     John and Peter - Al Hernke and Dennis Thue

And I was honored to be among such men.

Re-enactment of the Da Vinci painting.

The program is based on the painting The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci back in 1452.  He shows Jesus breaking bread and also warning them that he knows: “One of you will betray me.”
     Each man then tells about his relationship with Christ and wonders aloud... “Is it I Lord?”

Jesus - Aaron Busch

Who would do this?

  Now the dictionary explains that the word “betrayal” means to be disloyal, unfaithful, break faith with, sell out

  Since we know Judas is the one who does the deed, I was waiting to hear how his character would explain his choice. 
  
In effect he explained that he was trying to force Jesus to take his role as ruler - commander in chief.  He appeared to believe Jesus could do it... but Judas wanted it done now.
And so he “betrayed” him, "sold" him out - later that night.


Am I also Judas?

  And then I pondered about whether I wouldn’t also fit into this category of Judas - of betrayal.  
Because even though I may have followed some of the ten commandments what about the other times when I disobeyed the command to “love one another”. 
Wasn’t I “betraying” Jesus then?

The only comforting thought I have is that although Judas chose one way of dealing with his betrayal... he had another choice... to change.