Sunday, April 3, 2011


The “Good” and “Bad”
about a small town...

Growing up in the “Big” city was good. Although I really didn’t have anything to compare it to. It was all I knew.
The prevailing idea was that you had more advantages in the “Big” city than in a small town.
After some 30 years living here, I am questioning that concept a bit.

Surprisingly, by growing up in a small town you can be more confident in public affairs. You see, in a small town you may grow up next door to the mayor or a bank president. And you know a lot about your neighbors in a small town!
(It seems like in a small town they either know what I’ve been doing or they think they know... and the latter might be a lot more interesting!)

Anyway... the result is that you’re not going to be in too much awe of someone’s title because you’ve already seen them cleaning up dog droppings in their back yard!

So I’ve jotted down some of the “Good” and “Bad” things about living in a small town.

The “Good” is that you have easy access to public meetings to get basic knowledge on government and parliamentary procedure. I saw a teenager speak to the local city council and do a fine job. When I had to present my concerns another time I didn’t do as well. I found my right arm was shaking so much that I thought everyone could see it. In talking with my friend the mayor afterwards, he grinned and said he saw it!
I decided I would have to practice. The council allows public input for two minutes at the beginning of their meeting. What better place to get a grip on public speaking than in front of friends? I didn’t do it... but the opportunity is there, or so I tell myself.

To continue:
The “Good” is that a small town can have special opportunities compared to a big city. Like our own cable/internet TV channel with its programming highlighting the local area.
The “Bad” is that they didn’t have anyone who wanted to do it.

The “Good” is that when a job needs to be done in a small town, you have a good opportunity to be the one to do it.
The “Bad” is that although you have been taking computer/video lessons you don’t have the equipment to do the job you would like to.

The “Good” is that the whole world will be seeing your videos anyway.
The “Bad” is that... I can’t think of anything bad. My friends are already forced to watch my videos on Youtube!

The “Good” is that in this process, I have taken advantage of some opportunities that probably wouldn’t be available in a big city.
The “Good” is that I can highlight local musicians and artists and just friendly folks who make this planet a good place.
The “Good” is that there is opportunity here for others too.
The “Good” is that I have been finding that there sure is a lot of “Good” in a small town.!

(Watch "Along the way... with Rosie" on both Channel 12 and on the internet at www.cannonfallstv.org.)