Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You're as old as... what?


"You are as old as you think you are."

"How old would you be - if you didn't know how old you were?"


These types of statements have fascinated me over the years.

Did I believe them?

Not entirely.

But I have time to ponder on such thoughts while cleaning corrals or dragging the pastures on our little Ford 8N tractor.

And so I thought on these.


How much does what we "think" affect us?

And how much does how we "act" affect us?


If I thought I was younger, and acted like I was younger... would that really affect my physical body?

I decided to try it out.


There are ages that are fun to think about - like being a kid of 11 or so.

But being a bit older gives you more room to make your own choices. So how would I act if I was 30? (Not how did you act... but how could you act!)

Recently I was considering how the word "seventeen" sounded similar to "seventy", my present age.

Hmmmm... how would I act as a teenager?


Well, just going with my regular routine, I headed to the Mall of America (that sounds like a teen thing to do, right?). I was taking a class on our new Apple laptop... I'm trying to learn "Garage Band". (That's good - also probably something a teen might like to do.)


On the way home I picked up some paint at a building supply store and while checking out I was surprised by the cashier snickering at my purchase of Sweet Tarts candy. Is this for a kid? she asked. I replied, they were for me.

I was curious about her reaction but chuckled because maybe I'm really just a kid!


Then I got a quick hair cut and the stylist commented about the color of my hair. It's more of a cream color than white. Apparently the color has changed because of the rust in our well water! She explained how I can use some blue colored shampoo to get it whiter. I chuckled at the thought of the blue colored hair little old ladies used to have. But I have a purple colored shampoo that I use to get my pinto horses' tails white. I could probably try that!

On the other hand, it's kind of fun being a "blond" in your seventies!


Since I was in the shopping center I decided to pick up some wine for a party. While checking out, the cashier asked me my birthday. I looked at her confused, so she explained that she had pressed the wrong key and had to "card" me to see if I was old enough to buy the wine.

I smiled and complied and said, "It's pretty cool to be 'carded' when you're seventy!"


It's just some thoughts to ponder... what effects do what we think and what we do have on us.


.