Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
At Classy Restaurant?

Any ideas on this problem?
I had been invited to eat at a classy restaurant. (Keep in mind that I think it’s a treat to pick up a pizza to bring home – even a frozen pizza!)

The valet parking charge alone would have probably fed a family at MacDonalds.

The dining tables were set up beautifully. Many plates and forks and spoons, but I managed all right. And the service was exceptional.

But I would like your suggestions as to what someone can do to persuade the servers (waiters and waitresses) to leave you alone!
You didn’t have just one. Several were available to help at each table. And you didn't know which one would attack next!
Some folks enjoy the attention I suppose.

But I started to feel uncomfortable when I noticed that when someone at our table got up and left their napkin next to their plate, a server came over and refolded it and placed it correctly.
This seemed a little obsessive – compulsive. But this is not what I need your help on.

It was their constantly filling the glasses with water.

Not when you had almost emptied the glass... but when you even took a sip!
I started watching this happen at our table of ten. I had wanted to let the ice melt and just drink the water slowly because the air conditioning made the room so cold.

Of course I was wearing the proverbial “little black dress” instead of my “longjohns”. I later borrowed my husband’s suit coat to wear. Maybe it could have been considered a “fashion statement”.

Anyway, I became fascinated as I watched the servers hover in a spatial holding pattern ready to swoop down on the tables and fill the glasses again.

I wondered what I could do to avoid this.
Could I deftly hang my napkin over the glass? Or would they just fold it again?

After a lull in the action, a surge of servers attacked our table. I grabbed my water glass and held it to my lips and slowly sipped while they filled the other glasses and backed off.
Ah ha! I thought I had them outfoxed now!
I gently sat my glass back on the table and started to relax.

Watch out! One of the servers apparently had been watching me and stayed behind as the others left. Unknown to me he had stationed himself behind my chair… waiting… waiting… waiting to pounce!

I watched in horror as an arm came around from behind me and my glass was filled with cold icy water!

Anyone have an idea of what I could have done?
(Besides saying: “Thank you.”)