Friday, December 14, 2007

The right gift…


Are you looking for the right gift?
Maybe for others… or maybe for yourself.

One dark night I picked up a book by Max Lucado. The pages fell open to one story. It was about an old man who was telling a younger man about the perils of looking for love. As I remember it explained that in his own youth, the old man had been searching for a beautiful woman. And he missed his true love.

Lucado’s touching philosophy stated it this way:

Seek beauty and miss love…
But seek love and find both.

What an interesting concept.
How could this affect our lives? Could we actually hinder our hopes from coming true because we were searching in the wrong way?

To test this idea, I reflected as to whether the saying could be adapted to other wishes. As I was recuperating from a bout with a virus I pondered this thought…

Seek health and miss peace...
But seek peace and find both.

I remember the efforts in my past that I have made to get healthy. Sometimes I was needlessly concerned and other times my search included medical procedures. But the “needless concern”, or worry, or struggle, did not benefit me. I was obviously missing “peace”.

Now, what about finances? This has been a concern for me ever since I asked for an allowance as a kid.
So for enlightenment on this topic, I rewrote the above concept to:

Seek money and miss opportunities
Seek opportunities and get both.

This way I can broaden my view. Trying out different opportunities could lead to money but they could also lead to blessings I had never thought of finding.

The value of looking into these concepts appears to be to help me focus on issues or ideas I might have been overlooking.

To insure that I didn’t miss even more of them I came across this comprehensive thought:

Seek first the kingdom of God…
And all these things will be given you. Matthew 6:33

Just a reminder, that what we focus on may lead to just the “right gift”.