Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What if the wish really came true?

Is the dream more fun than the reality?
I wondered about this as I was startled by the possibility of one of my favorite pastimes coming true!

I enjoy envisioning stories through my thoughts as I clean corrals, for example. Such a daydream has been about one of my favorite musical characters – Willie Nelson.
.
You can hear me humming his touchstone song, “On the Road Again”, day or night. (The family groans as I may have overdone this on trips.)
I don’t remember much more than the title of the song so I might make up words too.

One day I got the idea that I would like to sing it with Willie. I’m not thinking I’m a professional singer. I just enjoy his song so much.
So I started picturing me singing with Willie. I found the words to the song to memorize them. I could even harmonize on parts! (That is, if I stayed on tune long enough!)

I hadn’t told anyone about my idea though. And no one hearing me sing out in the corral was going to tell!

But recently I was at a graduation party where I didn’t know many of the guests. I was just sitting and snacking and listening to the folks around me and it was a pleasant time.

Then I heard mentioned the name of Willie Nelson. I perked up.
And for some reason - probably because I didn’t know the people and I’d probably never meet them again – I blurted out – “I love Willie Nelson… it’s my dream that someday I would sing his song, ‘On the Road Again”, with him!”
Everyone smiled. A polite group you know! And my white hair gives me extra grace sometimes I think.

But then I was shocked as the man sitting next to me turned and said, “I may be able to help you on that. I work for Willie Nelson.”

After that shock, I was confronted with the fact that I probably was enjoying my dream more than if I really sang with Willie! For one thing, I have trouble remembering the words of the song!
And I realized that if I ever met him, I would just want to watch and listen to him. I wouldn’t want to bother him. I would want to be able to give some joy or help to him, not just take.

So later on I told the thoughtful man this and explained, maybe I’ll just keep Willie in my dream and say a prayer for him.
(But maybe I’ll also try to memorize the words to his music some more.. just in case. You never know!)


(Nelson photo from CD - Willie Nelson Songs)